What are the Adverbs of Place?
Adverbs of place are also known as adverbs of location. They express where the verb action is carried out. They provide information on where someone does something.They are placed after the verb or entire expression (at the end of the sentence). Adverbs of place tell us where something happens.
1. Adverbs of place tell you where something happens.
home – She drove him home.
upstairs – He is upstairs.
here – How long have you been there?
nearby – They built a court nearby.
outside – She took her new car outside
2. Adverbs of place provide information on where someone does something. They are placed after the verb or entire expression (at the end of the sentence).
- When giving a lesson, please don’t just stand there and read from the teacher’s textbook.
- I heard a nightingale singing somewhere not far away.
3. When a place adverb or adverbial phrase is moved to the beginning of the sentence, the main verb can be placed before the subject if it is in a simple tense.
- Here comes our hero.
- Beyond the village boundaries lived a vampire.
Alphabetical list of common single-word place adverbs:
- backwards (also backward)
- east (etc)